Oxford, Mississippi turns into a slow-moving town during the summertime, especially when compared to fall and spring seasons. It may seem like there isn’t as much offered for the locals or University students left behind during the summer. Check out this list of free activities that you can participate in during Oxford’s Summer of 2016!
- Summer Sunset Series- During the month of July, free concerts take place in The Grove on Sunday evenings at 6pm. So far we have had The Holy Ghost Electric Show and Alphonso Sanders. If you missed these shows, you still have two Sundays left to see Luke Fisher Band and Black Water Trio.
- Sunday Summer Concert Family Rides- Every Sunday before the Concerts in the Grove, join others in a safe and leisurely ride through the Ole Miss Campus. Meet at Ventress Hall at 4:45.
- Movies in the Park- Oxford Park Commission is hosting free movies and music in Avent Park. Take a blanket and enjoy a picnic, live music, and a family rated movie!June 10th – Tony Boyd and Big Hero 6
June 24th – McLeod & Guyer and Annie
July 8th – Pilot of the Clouds and Hotel Transylvania
July 22nd – Damein Wash and Inside Out
- First Friday Free Sketch- University Museum is hosting free sketch days on the first Friday of every month. Began April 1, 2016- August 5, 2016.
- Art Crawl- Do not forget about the Oxford Art Crawl! Takes place on June 28, July 26th and August 23. The Double Decker bus will run throughout the event, and it will make several stops at the Museum, the Square, on campus, and at the Powerhouse.
- Bailey Woods Trail or Whirlpool trails- Grab a bike or a friend and check out the trails behind Rowan Oak or the Whirlpool Trails. Do some exploring!
- Oxford LOU 4th of July festivities- Monday, July 4th activities begin at 7:30AM with “Stars and Stripes On the Square” 5K run and ends with fireworks over the Oxford-University Stadium-Swayze Field at 9:00PM. Find a list of all day events at VisitOxford.
- Oxford Square Alliance Summer Fest- July 30th from 9AM- 5PM. Side-walk sales around the Oxford square with fun activities on the courthouse lawn.